Beauty Hack: Collagen for Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails
Written by Allie Baker
Wellness, spirituality, lifestyle expert and writer
Written by Allie Baker, wellness expert
When it comes to getting gorgeous, glowing and healthy hair, skin and nails, the ultimate beauty hack isn’t a cream, serum or treatment. They say beauty comes from the inside out — and that’s true in more ways than one.
You may have guessed where we’re going with this: Collagen is the building block of your skin, muscles, bones and connective tissues. It should also be the building block of your beauty routine. So, what’s the science-backed truth behind the buzz? We’re here to bust the myths about collagen and dive deep into what collagen is, what it does for your hair, skin and nails, and why all collagen is not created equal. Let’s break down what’s building up your beautiful body.
What is collagen?
First, let’s back up and talk about the basics. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It accounts for 30% of the body’s total protein. Like we talked about above, collagen is the primary building block of your skin, muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments and other connective tissues. It is also in your organs, blood vessels and intestinal lining.
In order to produce proteins like collagen, our bodies need amino acids. Glycine, proline and hydroxyproline are the main amino acids that make up collagen. (You can learn more about glycine in a previous blog post.)
These amino acids join forces to make a triple helix structure. Your body also needs plenty of vitamin C, zinc, copper and manganese to form the triple helix — we'll talk more about the importance of vitamin C later.
Collagen’s most important job — and it’s a big one — is to provide structure and support for many different areas throughout your body. Think of it as the glue that’s holding everything together and keeping it strong. Three of these essential areas are your skin, hair and nails.
“Collagen plays a crucial role in supporting the health and appearance of hair, skin and nails,” says Dr. Mani Kukreja, MD, the founder of LivAgeWell, an integrative health and wellness coaching practice.
How exactly does it do this? Dr. Kukreja shares all the science-backed reasons.
What does collagen do for the skin?
As you get older, collagen is key to saving your skin. “Collagen is the most abundant protein in the skin and is responsible for its strength, elasticity and firmness,” Dr. Kukreja explains. “As we age, collagen production naturally declines, leading to the formation of wrinkles, sagging skin and loss of elasticity. Supplementing with collagen can help stimulate collagen synthesis in the skin, improving its structure, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and promoting a more youthful complexion.”
What does collagen do for hair?
If you’ve been experiencing hair loss, breakage or dry, dull locks, collagen may help you head off these hair-raising issues. “Collagen is a major component of hair follicles and surrounding tissues. It provides structural support and strength to hair strands, promoting their resilience and preventing breakage,” says Dr. Kukreja. “Collagen also helps maintain the moisture balance of the scalp, reducing dryness and promoting a healthy environment for hair growth.”
What does collagen do for nails?
A gorgeous mani starts with strong nails. If you want your nails to be as hard as, well, nails, collagen will give you a hand. “Collagen is a vital component of the nails, providing strength and structure,” Dr. Kukreja says. “Insufficient collagen levels can lead to brittle nails and nail breakage. Supplementing with collagen strengthens your nails and promotes faster growth.”
Why do we lose collagen?
Unfortunately, as our age goes up, our collagen production goes down. This is part of the natural aging process. Research shows that after the age of 20, our bodies make 1.5% less collagen every year. What’s more, women experience up to a 30% drop in their collagen stores during menopause. Other culprits like stress hormones, sugar consumption and UV exposure can also deplete collagen.
Should I supplement with collagen?
So now that you know you’re losing collagen — and how important it is — what can you do? Supplementing with collagen peptides is a simple and effective way to replenish your stores, boost collagen production and support anti-aging. Collagen peptides are made up of amino acids that your body uses to help support collagen production in your skin.
But here’s the catch — not all collagen is created equal. Many collagen supplements on the market use generic forms of collagen that are not highly bioavailable, meaning the collagen is not easily digested and absorbed by the body. Translation: You may be taking collagen, but this doesn’t necessarily mean your body is reaping the benefits.
At Sparkle Wellness, we are committed to crafting our products with meticulous care, ensuring they feature the finest quality collagen peptides. We proudly introduce you to VERISOL® Bioactive Collagen Peptides, backed by clinical research and renowned for their exceptional bioavailability.
The VERISOL difference
We’ll let Dr. Kukreja explain why VERISOL stands out in a crowded collagen aisle. “VERISOL is a specific type of collagen peptide that sets it apart from other collagen products,” she says. “It is derived from a specific source, which is bovine (cow) collagen. VERISOL undergoes a unique enzymatic process called hydrolysis, which breaks down the collagen into smaller peptides. These smaller peptides have a low molecular weight, making them highly bioavailable and easily absorbed by the body.”
This collagen peptide is also created explicitly for skin and beauty benefits. “What makes VERISOL even more specific is its targeted benefits for skin health. Clinical studies have shown that VERISOL supplementation can improve skin elasticity, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and promote a more youthful complexion. This is due to its ability to stimulate collagen synthesis in the skin, leading to improved skin structure and hydration," Dr. Kukreja says (we’ll dive deeper into the research in a bit).
Raves Dr. Kukreja, "In the face of its competition, VERISOL is something special. The specific sourcing, unique enzymatic process, and targeted benefits for skin and health make VERISOL a standout collagen product."
Experience the benefits of vitamin C
There is another reason that Sparkle Wellness outshines other collagen supplements. Our Skin Boost products are enhanced with a type of buffered vitamin C that provides longer bioavailability and is non-acidic, so it’s gentle on the stomach.
Why vitamin C? “In addition to the necessary amino acids, including glycine, your body needs sufficient vitamin C to produce collagen and maintain its vitality,” explains Dr. Kukreja. “Vitamin C works in two ways to support your skin. First, it is a powerful antioxidant, so it protects your skin cells from damaging free radicals that break down collagen. Second, you need vitamin C to make and repair collagen. Having enough vitamin C ensures that your body can assemble amino acids into collagen when you need to.
Once you have the raw materials you need (the right amino acids and vitamin C), then your body produces more collagen and adds to more bioavailability of this collagen.”
What do the studies say about collagen peptides for hair, skin and nails?
Research backs up the benefits of collagen peptides, specifically VERISOL. Let’s look at the evidence.
- Improved skin elasticity and complexion: A study published in the Journal of Medical Nutrition and Nutraceuticals followed 69 women ages 35 - 55. Those who supplemented with VERISOL daily experienced significantly higher skin elasticity — up to 15% — compared to the placebo treatment. This effect could be seen after just four weeks, persisted after eight weeks, and improved even further after 12 weeks. They also showed enhanced moisture content and less skin roughness compared to the placebo group.
- Reduced wrinkles and anti-aging: In another study of 114 women ages 45 - 65, daily use of VERISOL significantly reduced wrinkles after four weeks and led to a higher concentration of collagen.
- Thicker hair: Research in The Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology studied 60 women with thinning hair. Those who took a collagen supplement for 180 days showed a significant increase in hair thickness and density compared to the placebo group. Another study in the journal Nutrafoods of 44 women found that hair cell proliferation increased by 31% and hair thickness improved significantly when supplementing with Bioactive Collagen Peptides.
- Stronger nails: Another study published in The Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found that when women with brittle nails were given VERISOL, they experienced less nail splitting and more growth. After six months, participants reported a 42% reduction in cracked or chipped nails. Up to 75% of the women perceived their nails as longer and 71% said their nails grew faster with the collagen peptides.
Bottom line? Collagen works. Collagen can help you get the glowing skin, flowing locks and strong nails of your dreams. Just make sure you are choosing your collagen carefully.
Sparkle from the inside out with Skin Boost
Sparkle Wellness' Skin Boost collection is specially formulated with VERISOL, vitamin C and other high-quality ingredients to help you shine. Take a look at our lineup:
- Skin Boost Powder: Each serving is packed with 2,500 mg of clinically-proven VERISOL Bioactive Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides and 66 milligrams of vitamin C. You can seamlessly mix the delicious flavors into hot or cold beverages like tea or water, or in snacks like smoothies and yogurt.
- Skin Boost Capsules: They deliver the same amount of VERISOL and vitamin C as the powder — just in a dose of six capsules you can easily take with water.
- Skin Boost Plus Powder: Supercharge your results with even more of the ingredients you love — 5,000 milligrams of VERISOL and 100 milligrams of vitamin C. Plus, you’ll get an extra boost from 100 milligrams of hyaluronic acid, which is known for increasing collagen synthesis and helping retain skin moisture. Talk about a glow up!
Skin Boost Plus was recently named one of the Top 5 Supplements You Should Add to Your Health & Fitness Routine by Muscle & Fitness magazine. Both experts and customers agree that this collagen peptide supplement is a must.
All Skin Boost products are:
- Made with 100% grass-fed, pasture-raised, bovine-derived collagen.
- Free of artificial ingredients, GMOs, sugar, gluten, dairy and soy.
- Backed by our flavor guarantee. If you aren’t completely satisfied with the taste, just contact us and we’ll send you a different flavor.